[blindkid] Canes and amusement park rides?

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Aug 6 17:35:41 UTC 2010

Blind guests have, in fact, even fought to get canes into Six Flags,
quite literally. As some of you may or may not be aware, Six Flags in
Atlanta refused entrance to a number of blind cane travelers (or more
specifically told them they could come in, but not with the "sticks"
which looked like "weapons")-- this was, as I recall, during a NFB
National convention in Atlanta-- perhaps in 2004? I cringe as an
Atlanta native over the matter, but it could (obviously) have happened
anywhere.

Here's a link to that story:

http://www.blindinc.org/articles/blindcard.html

I suspect most any Six Flags now has policy to clarify that canes can
come in with blind cane travelers. (We have never had a problem going
to that same Six Flags with our daughter and her cane.)

Still, ideally, you might want to call ahead to any park you plan to
visit for the first time and ask what sort of accommodations they
offer. This will help confirm that there should be no cane entrance
issues, but more importantly it will help you deal with the much more
likely confusion of how to get a cane most easily to the ride exits
properly and safely.

The point of the past discussion I had mentioned (in my earlier post)
was that the "magic ticket" (whatever it was called) solved the whole
thing-- when you come to the ride they KNOW to look for the item
you're wearing (I assume similar to an ID card around your neck like
at a convention maybe?, or perhaps it could be a wrist band?) they
know the guest needs their attention and some possible help.

If you want to do the full wait in line (which is not practical at all
for say, a wheel chair user-- at least in some queues-- the chairs
simply won't fit) you could probably wear the pass through the two
hour long ride queue, then just get the needed help as you get on the
ride, but it is almost certain that all the parks have a relatively
seamless system to get wheelchairs and walkers to ride exits so it
should be nothing for them to transport a little fiberglass cane 50
yards...

Incidentally, the most recent Six Flags policy I find online shows
that Six Flags offers a pass to skip the line but not the wait (as of
about 3 years ago, I think?) and also Disney apparently does not
officially let you skip the wait but lets you wait up front for the
rest of your party to come through the line.

In fact the reason (as posted by a former Disney employee) they tend
to put people through rides more quickly with the pass is generally
that the special needs guest, especially if they have more space
requirements than most guests (think of the footprint of a wheelchair
or walker) sort of clogs up the loading platform area. So the
employees run through those who they can faster to clear out space.

Surely there are other needs that make waits very hard for some
guests, but blindness alone would not seem to make that list of
reasons to jump the line. Still, we can all reasonably make use of the
appropriate portion of such accommodations when needed-- just my
thoughts on the matter.

Richard