[blindkid] braille qwerty usb keyboard needed

Bonnie Lucas lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 19:32:45 UTC 2010

I've been thinking a little more about Braille on the keyboard and it occurs
to me that one thing you could try, if you have not, is to get one of the
typing programs. There are several on the market and most of them are great
for kids because they include fun ways of praising the typist as they
complete tasks correctly. They start out very simply and eventually the
student is able to type every key and know what it is. They also help build
up speed and include sentences for timed writing. The nice thing is that the
student can learn at her own pace and have fun as well. The prices very with
the different programs. Most of them have demos that can be downloaded as
wel. A few years ago, three, I believe, were evaluated in the Braille
Monitor and though I briefly looked, I was not able to find the issue with
my limited time right now. I did test 3 of them and some are definitely
better than others. I worked at CVI for a month and taught keyboarding there
with(can't remember the exact name right now.) However, it is the program
produced by Marblesoft.
Perhaps all I'm saying is not helpful if you have tried these programs in
the past. There is one that works with JAWS and I actually thought that one
was a lot of fun. Aubrie and I both tried it. It was one of the ones
reviewed.
Again, best of luck.
Bonnie