[blindkid] Appology in order

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Sun Aug 22 02:35:06 UTC 2010

Thanks Bonnie,

As you know me personally and from off this list as well, you already
know that you are always welcome to contact me directly. I did not
intend to turn this into a major situation and I was not trying to
make anyone feel bad for comments offered with no doubt the best of
intentions, so I offer my apologies to anyone whom I may have
offended. I was also not fishing for an apology and I regret that my
message apparently came across sounding as if I was.

I remain anxious and curious to hear back from that one company which
said on their web site to "ask" if you were interested in a USB
keyboard with the moulded braille key caps (from Laura's link). I did
ask, but they have yet to answer. I hate to pay $120 for a PS2 model
keyboard which would have to be adapted to work in some applications
and probably be less reliable than USB as well, but I don't have any
idea why they'd just say to "ask" about a USB model, as if they
thought they "might" be able to supply one. (I wouldn't think they
would suddeny produce a single unit on demand.) This seems like a
thing you'd either have available or you wouldn't.

Ironically, this may all become a moot discussion. Yesterday, I walked
up to Kendra's computer to find several lines of text nicely typed on
the screen. Except for perhaps a single incorrect character, the
typing was perfect. I know my 4-year-old didn't do it, and none of the
"big people" in the house typed it (Stephanie, myself or our
teenager), and Kendra had been exploring the computer just before that.

Kendra denies typing this paragraph which began with the phrase "My
name is Kendra". (Some would call that a "clue".) I think she
suggested some manor of fairy was the author (the fairy pretending to
be her-- you know how those fairies can be.)  While my son would
doubtless tell us that a mischievous leprechaun was the probable
culprit, I'm pretty certain it was neither a leprechaun OR a fairy.

As I mentioned before, Kendra doesn't want to admit to being able to
do anything when she feels she has less than complete mastery of the
skill. I'd really like to know if this took only moments (as if she
had typed it on her Braillenote) or if she just "hunted and pecked"
slowly until she heard (by way of JAWS) that she had the right keys.
Whatever the case, she's still refusing to type with an audience. I
suppose sooner or later I will "catch her typing" or overhear another
attempt and maybe I can get a better grasp of where she really is with
all of this.

Still, if someone runs across the keyboard I mentioned somewhere, I'd
like to see about having one to explore.

Again, I appreciate the efforts and intentions of all who responded to
my initial post.

Sincerely,

Richard