[blindkid] no appreciation for praise

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Sun Aug 22 03:21:08 UTC 2010

Barbara,  I generally go ahead and offer her a small amount of praise
(and often make her mad too), but I try to keep it as minimal as I can
manage. I think that at least small amounts of acknowledgment and
positive reinforcement are a good thing, in nearly every case. There
must be something to the notion that she'll grow into better
acceptance of complementary things over time as well. That's what I
read when I look for answers on the topic.

As I just mentioned in a reply to Bonnie, it appears that (despite her
claim to the contrary) Kendra is actually progressing at least a bit
with her ability on a conventional keyboard, but she denies having
been the one typing what I found, which no doubt from her standpoint
would avert the likelihood that she'd have to deal with any praise.
(Why would I tell her she did a good job if she tells me up front that
she didn't do the work I found.) Sort of clever and irritating all at
once, right?

Kendra also has a keen musical ability with outstanding pitch
recognition and memory. When she was younger (3 or 4) she'd share that
ability openly. Now she claims not to know what notes things are or
what keys pieces are in, etc.  Again, no need to worry about praise if
she can't do the thing. The problem is, she "slips up" every now and
then, by complaining that something is in the wrong key for example,
or asking what some particular song she just heard was. I might say
"which one?" and instead of saying, "the one about the boat", she'll
say "the one in G Major", etc., (And when I check, she's invariably
right.) In that case, I just go forward with the discussion and skip
the praise beyond maybe saying "Oh, the on in G Major was..."

This is not a great answer to your question I realize, but I'm still
trying to figure out the whole cause of the problem in our case. My
best guess is it may have something to do with having too many people
over-praise her when she was really young. As some on this list have
observed in the past, it really is not so terribly amazing that our
kids can walk across a classroom or flip on a light switch and when
people "go over the top" telling our kids what a great job they did, I
think it at least perpetuates the problem.

I'm seeing the same thing a little bit with my (sighted) son right now
a bit. He's 4 years old and just started riding the school bus. The
sweet lady who drives the bus keeps telling him what a good job he's
doing when he steps up onto the bus. Well yes, he's doing fine, but
he's been walking up steps for a while. I think he's pretty much over
being praised for that. It happens to a lot of kids, but I think some
sighted adults tend to really over-do it with blind kids. They don't
know how THEY would do that if THEY could not see, so it seems amazing
to them...

For now, all I know to do is to keep continue to offer modest amounts
of praise, at lest for "praise-worthy" things. The other thing I try
to do is to make certain she hears others being given (and ACCEPTING)
appropriate positive feedback around the house.

If you find something that helps, please share it with me as I'd love
to see this ongoing challenge vanish!

Richard