[blindkid] Blind/Low Vision Inclusive Technology - "ExtremeMakeover: Home Edition" on Sunday, December 5

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Fri Dec 3 15:25:16 UTC 2010

Good morning everyone,

    We've been through this before haven't we? Every time we've heard what a
great show the Extreme Make-Over Home Edition will be whenever it features
blind people. We watch the program only to discover that it's the same old
junk about the blind portrayed by the media. It's junk like this that causes
apartment managers to believe that blind tenants seeking to rent from them
be accompanied by an apartment locator when in the view of the prospective
blind renter such services are not needed. This happened to Mary and myself
last spring when we toured different properties looking for a new place to
live. The manager of one apartment complex was more interested in
advertising the services of her co-worker whose boyfriend was an apartment
locator than showing us what they had to offer.

    It was after some persistence on our part that we finally got a tour of
one of their units. We told the manager that we in fact used a locator
called HP Pavilion Apartment Hunters and another service called Dell
Apartment Finding Inc. These services are no further than our living room
and guest bedroom and on our laps when needed. They're on call 24/7 and will
allow you to search for apartments at any time. Hence we could look at
rental property on our schedule not that of apartment locators of the human
kind.

    Realizing that this complex was looking straight down the barrel of a
possible disability discrimination complaint they offered us a unit but it
was smaller than what we needed. In the end we declined this offer but at
least we accomplished our mission.

    We now live in a 1300 SQFT townhome on San Antonio's Northeast side.
Unlike our experience with the complex described above the management here
were surprised that we found them online and were relieved that they
wouldn't need to pay an apartment location fee.

        I'm relaying this story as it's the kind of thing that can happen to
blind people looking to lease or perhaps even buy a place to live. As long
as Extreme Make-over Home Edition portrays us as helpless individuals who
can only live independently if their home is equipped with this or that
gadgett, or umpteen textured surfaces and the rest of it. I hope we can find
a way to put a stop to how ABC portrays blind people on the Extreme
Make-over Home Edition program. All the best.

Peter Donahue