[blindkid] blindkid Digest, Vol 80, Issue 10

Eliza Ellett elizaellett at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 23:20:24 UTC 2010

Leslie,
 We have a GREAT NFB here, I wish I could visit with them more, but well,
children take ALOT of time. I like your ideas, everyone had wonderful thoughts,
that's what I love about this listserv, I never feel wrong for asking a
question. I do have our advocate from the Philip Rock/Project Reach Deaf Blind
community that will be with us at our first IEP, I would love to have the whole
NFB with, but that may look a little pushy on my part! :-) Our Vision DT,
Hearing DT, Speech, etc will be there also, along with the Lighthouse's Vision
Report, which she has stated that she will completely endorse putting the need
for O&M and Braille on there! I hope that will help for the future with the need
or lack there of through the schools. O&M seems a little....... I'm not sure of
the word I want to use there. There's a lot of opinions out there and sometimes
I have a hard time with the opinions that have been taught to sighted
individuals and they think they would know what's better for the blind and low
vision community, especially our children. I mean, if I'm going to take advice,
I'd like it to be from someone that knows first hand what they are speaking of,
so I get confused, often. Sometimes, I don't know if I'm over reacting or
if some are just not taking it seriously enough. When your child is
completely blind and or deaf, there's usually not a lot of "fights" on how to go
about helping, that I have noticed(I'm sure there's many different opinions on
this), but have a child with vision left and some hearing, there's SO MANY
different opinions on what she should or shouldn't do, from O&M, that she walks
around the house just fine, to braille, how I'm sure she can read the E if not
the next level on the chart,so magnification should be fine, or one of my
favorites, oh look she turned to that, she can hear just fine( and it was the
dog barking next to her or a fire truck next to the car!!!!!). So, I have no
idea what I'm saying now, but I'm happy that I got to vent!

Thank you, AGAIN.

Eliza