[blindkid] Adoption from China

Susan Harper sueharper at firstchurchgriswold.org
Thu Feb 11 20:44:29 UTC 2010

Hi,
     Sue weighing in on this subject with some prejudice.   There are lots
of children in the US that need homes with parents who have a lot to offer
in the way of personal experience with being blind.  That being said,
usually there are other co-occurring developmental issues which one has to
be savvy about listening and sifting through lots of developmental and
medical information.  There are some words that are used like developmental
delays which can mean a whole host of things as well as the words, "I don't
know."  So what I would request, and it is required by law at the time of
adoption, is a full disclosure of all medical and developmental testing.  If
you have questions talk with someone who can help you interpret the
information, like your pediatrician and a special educator and then you will
get a better idea of needs.  Are people unscrupulous?  At times
unfortunately, yes.  They think they are doing a service to the child to
find a loving home and maybe all that stuff will work out.  Many times it
does all work out, however, you need to be prepared and willing to accept a
child if the worst case scenario comes to pass.
     Make sure you use a reputable licensed Child Placing Agency.  You can
check with your state's DCF office to see if the agency is licensed and if
there have ever been any problems.  If you are working out of country,
again, there has to be a licensed agency in this county and you can check
with licensing in your state to see if there are issues/concerns.
     If you adopt a child in this country with medical/developmental needs,
then their medical costs will be covered or will cover what your medical
insurance doesn't until they are 18 to 21, depending on the state you adopt
from.  And believe me those bills can run up fast and that also includes
adaptive equipment needs.  If you adopt out of country, then you are
expected to provide for all this yourself.  There may be funds for this that
I am not aware of to cover this in an international adoption.  Even the best
of insurances do not cover everything nor does services for the blind.  This
is the practical me speaking, not my heart.  However, practical is necessary
unless you have unlimited income.
    With that in mind, by all means help a child with full knowledge of what
you will need to be prepared for!
Blessings,
Sue