[blindkid] Adoption from China

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Fri Feb 12 07:50:55 UTC 2010

I know you don't mean to sound harsh.  The reason I am so concerned about
multiple disabilities is two fold.  For one thing a deaf blind child I could
not do, period.  I know their intelligence can range from prefoundly
retarded to amazingly bright, just like any other person, but I do not think
that I could give all potential children, biological, foster or adopted
enough attention if I had to go over and make physical contact to read signs
and sign back for every single need and communication the deaf blind child
would have.  Additionally, a child with a significant mental disability
would pose a problem, because I am an attachment parent who is going to home
school and the state does not mind this, as long as your child makes
appropriate grades during state evaluations, but I know that a child with
mild mental retardation, note not a learning disability, that I could handel
as a special education major, but cognative delays, would be too time
intensive for me to effectively home school any other children, and even if
the mental delay was documented and properly diagnosed, I am sure the state
would use such to push the issue of a blind parent not being compitant to
home school her own children.  Some people, not you, but some people, would
call me, and have called me selfish, narrow minded, etc, but I am realistic,
and knowing what one can and cannot handel is a very responsible and wise
thing.  For instance, I know I am a damn good musician, but I also know that
auditioning at the Met. would only be an embarrassment and a disappointment.
I am good, but I am not that good.  I know that I am a great dog handler and
trainer and that if push came to shuv I could owner train a guide dog for my
self, but I also know that, at present, I don't have the time or the energy.
My thinking about a severly multiply handicapped child are along those lines
of realism and fairness to myself, my family and any potentially adopted
children.