[blindkid] Children's books addressing blindness, or featuring blind characters

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Mon Feb 15 15:54:04 UTC 2010

Oh yeah.  I saw an epesode where, fransine, has a blind friend and they have
a sleep over.  That prompted me to get the print book, which I am now using
to build up a collection of that series, since Jeremy loves the show at
seven A.M.  I think the simple, strait forward animation is easy for him to
see, the dialogue is realistic and not condescending, but not too fast
paced, and the background noise is not prohibitive of good language
development, especially for a VI child.  But, alas, these are too old.  I
reread it last week and it is just not the correct level for preschoolers.
I think kindergarden and first grade would be fine, but toddlers?  Not
quite.  Great suggestion though, and am totally bummed, as I really do love
this particular book.  Basically, Fransine gets all freaked out that she
will offend or bother her blind friend and she goes a little nuts trying to
be overly helpful, wigging out about a chair out of place and being more
interested in her friend's brailled playing cards and described movies and
such, than in her actual friend.  It resolves nicely and it is very raw and
real and genuine.  Take care.