[blindkid] Children's books addressing blindness, or featuring blind characters

trising trising at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 15 16:06:33 UTC 2010

There is Mandy Sue Day by Roberta Karim. I use this book to read to
kindergarten and first graders when I go to schools and talk to the students
about blindness. The story does not even say she is blind until the end. It
goes through a day in the life of the little girl, grooming, and riding and
feeding her horse. All of her other senses are used, and an observant reader
can tell she is blind after a few pages, but this is not directly stated
until the end of the book. I review what the five senses are with the kids,
and say that this little girl is missing one of her senses. I ask them to
tell me when they know which sense she is missing. When they stop guessing,
and actually listen to the story, they get it long before the book actually
states it. It is a really good story that has no extra protection for the
little girl involved, just because she is blind.