[blindkid] Technology and Little Kid

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu Feb 18 15:00:02 UTC 2010

I just re-read Dave's question.

I think some of us (myself included) may have missed part of his
original question. The child's peers, assuming they have typical
vision, are most likely seeing technology constantly. It will take a
lot more than only a slate and stylus to "keep up". I guess it sort of
begs the question as to what in particular she wants to keep up with
the most, but obviously there will need to be braille and presumably a
cane introduced if they are not already in use. (I assume the child is
able to travel typically.) My point being not to overlook the obvious--

If the kids are playing stories or music, it might be a library of
congress tape player or their newer digital system, or it might be an
mp3 player, and that could be a typical player with tactile buttons
(as in the exact opposite of an ipod touch) or something more extreme,
like a victor reader.

If the kids are enjoying videos, it might be playing described videos
or even conventional ones in a way the child can manage on his/her
own. The technology in this case might be the adapted media itself or
simply an accessible player-- maybe it is marking controls with
tactile tape and avoiding flat, smooth controls. If other kids are on
the computer, it might be using a screen reader like Jaws, and on and
on.

I would again suggest something like her looking at the list I posted
to get a better idea of what she's really trying to accomplish:
http://www.gopbc.org/gopbc_technology.htm

There are doubtless more comprehensive lists with even more ideas
(please post them if you have them), but the answer to keep up with
peers across the board in technology is going to involve long-term
exposure to many different adaptations and technology solutions
because that is what all the other kids have around themselves
constantly...

Richard