[blindkid] Technology and Little Kid

Robert Jaquiss rjaquiss at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 18 15:18:33 UTC 2010

Hello:

     I carry a slate in my backpack all the time in case I need to write a
quick note. My BrailleNote fills up a backpack and it gets heavy after a
while. I personally would introduce a brailler before a slate. You can feel
the braille as it is written and I think it makes more sense to little ones
to read from left to right and write from left to right just like their
sighted peers. Extension keys are available for a Perkins for hands not
strong enough to press the keys. One thing about a slate is that the stylus
does have a sharp point and sharp pointed things are not good for small
children. If you do expose a child to a slate, do so with care.

Regards,

Robert Jaquiss