[blindkid] Technology and Little Kid

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Fri Feb 19 13:09:04 UTC 2010

Right on.  Many families that home school have a similar phylosophy.  That
is if "Our daughter is aged at a second grade level, but she is reading at a
first grade level, but her math is at a second grade level and her reading
comprehention is at a fifth grade level and her science comprehention is at
a fourth grade level, we, will keep working on reading and math, but not
push them so hard that her outstanding science and literacy comprehention
levels off or drops.  That is why kids are tested every two to three years,
because their interests and aptitudes run in phases such that they might
jump ahead in math one year and their english skills might bound ahead the
next to katch up with or surpass the math.  All you can do is introduce a
tool or theory or subject to a child.  Pushing it at the expense of other
subjects can only hurt their best subjects and in the worse case could
lessen the child's love of learning.  You and your TVI sound like you are
doing an absolutely amazing job, and your daughter sounds very very bright.
I think a lot of people are hearing parents say "Yes, slate good, other
things good too, slate maybe slightly less important, will show slate to
kid, will help them, will not push slate at expense of other technologies or
skills..." and instead they are taking away from that "We hate the slate, we
hate the slate, lalala lala..." *insert cartoon music notes for lightened
mood*