[blindkid] Technology and Little Kid

Bonnie Lucas lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 19:43:29 UTC 2010

I am going to make just one comment here. At seven years old, I began first
grade which is when I began learning Braille. this was some years ago at the
School for the Blind in Berkeley, CA. At that time, I began learning on the
Braille writer. Then, one day when I got sick and had to go to the school
infirmery, the girl who was my room mate was in third or fourth grade. The
nurse brought her a slate and stylus and though I had seen them, I hadn't
learned how to use one. I distinctly remember her telling me a little about
how  to use the thing and low and behold, because I was determined to do
some writing to occupy myself, within the hour I was writing up a blue
streek. It was great fun and I used the cool piece of tech through college
(dating myself). Here's the deal. When writing with the Braille writer, you
have to remember that the 1 is on the left and you write and read from the
left. No right involved. When writing with the slate, the 1 is on the right
and you write from the right. The only time you do anything from the left is
when you turn the paper over and read from the left. At my current age,
writing for long periods on the slate hurts my wrist though using the softer
paper helps a lot. However, in the past week, I have written things down
twice because I carry one in my purse, no matter what else I have with me
and believe me, away from home it is never a Perkins, there is always a
slate and stylus with me.

I cannot say that using a slate and stylus would have been the same had I
had the option of a BrailleNote and computer. My daughter, Aubrie, 13, knows
how to use the S&S but definitely does not use it much compared with her BN
and the computer.
With that, my best suggestion (hope I'm not out-of-line for saying this) I
think it's time to find something else to write about.