[blindkid] Home-schooling/unschooling, attachment parenting, Re: Australia and life context skills

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Sat Feb 20 20:23:38 UTC 2010

Ah, well, we all have drafts that come back to bite us in the butt, self
included.  It's no biggy.  I was just getting really frustrated with some
people asserting that I was entirely against something, black and white,
with no room for my true opinion which is quite in the grey, and so I was
primed to nit pick.  Sorry about that.  Well, the mods seemed pretty
annoyed, but since you are of the mind that they won't mind us continuing
this, with a different slant and in an entirely different dirrection, and
since you were addressing me and my post spacifically in your own post I
will write back, although, I am now being moderated, and so, I don't know if
this will go through.  Depends on how close they see this as being to the
old "slate and styalis" thread I guess.

On an entirely different note then, and in response to what you just wrote.
I think one of the things that we disagree on has nothing to do with
technology or blindness, but rather a difference in our teaching styles.  I
am a homeschooling parent, also an attachment parent, and I believe in many
principals of the Reggio Ammilia school the Montessori school and the
Waldorf school.  Not each entirely, but there are several concepts from each
that resound with me, such as student led learning, developmentally
appropriate practice, the importance of unstructured play, etc.  But then
again, I am also an attachment parent who believes in many non-normative
things such as the family bed, potty learning, not potty training, infant
led weening and never ever the cry-out or controled crying method for
infants, although toddler tantrums are of course different.  I also like and
follow some ideals of unschooling, although, as an educator I realize that
complete, and idealistic unschooling is simply not practical if children are
going to be brought up to function and thrive in our society.  So, Yes, I
would let a blind child lead the way on many things, but I would also do so
with a sighted child.  For me, potty learning, proper skills in feeding and
dressing themself, basic safety rule compliance and learning how to express
and control one's emotions are required, other things are flexable.
Flexable, but not optional.  My child must learn print, cursive is optional,
my child must learn Braille, Perkins is required, slate is optional.  My
child must learn a sport, an instrument and another performance art form,
but which sport, instrument and performance art they choose is entirely up
to them.  They must learn how to do all basic household chores, but
whichever chores they enjoy best and have the highest aptitude for will
become their primary household responsibility.  That sort of thing.  I
intend to hold my blind child to the same standards of any sighted child.
No less, they are perfectly capable, with adaptation, and no more, I will
not be a parent who pushes their child to become super bllind kid.  lol  I
am sure everyone on this list is not at all like that, but I have met
parents who are.  I think that honestly we all want roughly the same things
educationally for our kids, but our priorities are certainly different.
another example.  I will expect my boys to know how to change a flat tire
and make things with power tools, but I will expect that of my girls too.  I
will expect my girls to know how to take care of animals and children, how
to cook and clean, but I will expect that of my boys too.

Wrapping up, I understand what you mean about context.  I know all about
things like historical context to socio-cultural context, I.E. Vigotski.
And, sub Africa for Austrilia, I completely agree that learning to dial an
emergency number, when the village might not even have a phone is beyond
ridiculous.  I think that context in America is slightly less variable,
because of such things as state teaching standards, and a relatively
homoginized society, but I agree that context absolutely plays a role.  I
only mentioned the whole 911 thing in the first place, because as an
attachment parent, I feel that socio-emotional and psycho-social development
and basic safety should come before structured accademics for a four year
old, but of course some feel differently, and I feel differently, when it
comes to older aged children.  Finally, something I and some of the mamas in
my clloth-diapering and babywearing moms' group was how accurate or not
Maslow's higherarchey of needs is and how that relates to the parenting and
teaching of young children.  One mama shared that she blocks out a rough
schedule on a sheet of paper in quarter hour intervals.  She fills in the
most important things, sleep, food bathing/hygene and elimination
opertunities, then she blocks in basic emotional and social needs like story
time, group play time, snuggle time with parents, for her kids, a daily
massage, etc, then she puts in accademic things like structured block play,
beginning math games, structured phonix exploration, etc.  If there isn't
enough time for the accademics she thinks about how to incorperate them into
the other areas of her kid's lives, and if she does take away some time from
the physical and emotional needs, she never takes more than half of the time
from each of those activities.  I hope that ramble makes sense.  Have a nice
afternoon.