[blindkid] blindkid Digest, Vol 70, Issue 22

Leslie Ligon atfirstsight at ligondesign.com
Thu Feb 25 13:40:46 UTC 2010

Sally, I agree with your comment below and would appreciate knowing what you
learn. My husband is a Mac user because of their design based software, and
he uses it at Univ. of North TX, as do all of the students. We keep having
trouble with having to reload JFW again and again...
It's giving us fits, and  since my husband is used to working on/with Macs,
contending with JFW/Windows is frustratingly just removed.

We would love the option of going with a Mac, especially in light as you
mentioned, given Heather's friend and NFB support.

Best wishes to you and your family,
Leslie Ligon
214-675-4061

>>I'm interested in the usefulness of the Mac for older kids.  I hear
>>comments
like Heather's about her friend using the Mac so I'm really curious.  My son
is past the Cartoon Network stage.

When he was younger, Flash sites he tried to access with JAWS were not
accessible.  I guess some of it depends on how the site is designed.  I am
sure that all Flash content is not compatible with JAWS.  I'm going to check
with the NFB Access Technology Team as Treva suggested to check on
usefulness of the Mac for older kids.  I think the suggestion to check with
the student division is a good one too.

Since it sounds like Apple is going to try to get the iPad placed as an
academic tool and since NFB has worked with Apple to improve accessibility,
I think the Mac may be a serious contender for older kids.

Sally Thomas>>