[blindkid] Mountbatten Brailler

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu Jan 21 17:41:01 UTC 2010

They are neat, but from what I understand, kids also tend to "outgrow"
them rather quickly. When we first saw them, I was excited about them
and thought we should find a way to get one for our daughter but I
think we have been far better served by the combination of perkins
braillers and braillenote / pacmate devices combined with embossers,
computers with screen readers (Jaws in our case) and the like. We're
starting to make use of the detachable braille display from our
pacmate now to let jaws show Kendra what is on her computer screen.
There are so many possibilities now-- I'd say explore all your options
thoroughly before you get anything and if you go to the national
convention, don't miss the exhibit hall and look at all you can when
you're there.

All of this other gear will (hopefully) last our daughter for many
years-- Kendra is using in first grade most of the key devices and
concepts that can take her clear through high school and college. No
doubt some well wear out or need upgrading, but not because she'd gone
beyond what her equipment can offer-- the sky is the limit there...

If you find a great deal on a used piece in good condition or if
budget is simply not a concern, I suspect you'd enjoy a Mt. Batten for
a good while but long term it will probably end up collecting dust or
being resold.

Richard