[blindkid] music camps

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Sat Jan 23 22:28:53 UTC 2010

What I would suggest would be the braille music program in Boston Mass.  I
am sorry, but the info for it is in my very dead braille note.  I will try
and find it on the net and let you know.  She could go there to learn
Braille music, and then the year after and for all summers until she applies
to music schools for college, I would suggest that she find something
similar to, or the exact same program, if you are in NYS, NYSSSA, the New
York State Summer School of the Arts.  There are similar programs in many
many states, and if you are not in New York, I bet google or asking her
chorus or band director would yield results.  The way it is set up in NYS is
that there are different sections for dance, theatre, musical theatre,
choir, band/orchestra, etc.  Each is hosted at a different SUNY campus.  Oh,
I think there is also one for visual arts as well, or it might be only
performing arts.  NYSSSA is not for blind kids, which is the good thing, it
is doable, but it is not at all limiting, and it would be a good thing to do
once she has mastered braille music.  I can't say enough how glad I am to
hear that she spacifically wants to learn braille music.  I was a voice
student and far too used to my amazing voice and pretty good ear for pitches
getting me out of learning braille music.  By the time I realized just how
important it was, I was struggling in a theory class at the Crane School of
Music at SUNY Potsdam, that was easy interms of knowledge and musical skill,
but was kicking my butt because I had to have someone read me note by note
the excersizes and pieces to analyze and write them down in my own made up
and rather limited musical code.  If she is this realistic and motivated
this early on, then she could go very very far.  I wish her so much luck and
joy in music, from one musician to another.