[blindkid] music camps

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Mon Jan 25 12:57:24 UTC 2010

One other music book I would recommend is "Who's Afraid of Braille Music?"
Some IEP Suggestions as well.  If you are going to request braille music,
have some local volinteer braillists in mind, that you know are proficient
with braille music, in case the school says "We can't do that.  Our braille
sources only know literary and nemeth code braille, it can't be done."  Some
things for your daughter.  Have her contact the principal and find out ahead
of time who her teachers will be, have her phone or email them asking for
the ISBN numbers of her text books and have her call NLS, RFBandD, etc, to
find her own text books if possible.  Have her contact volinteer braillists
to have any books done up that are not already available on tape, CD or in
braille.  If she has a book player such as a victor reader stream, have her
download her own text books from Audible Books.com NLS's Website and RFBand
D's website.  If it is too late to have her do this, because of time
constraints, start a step by step plan to have her doing this by the next
semester.  Also, have her start getting everything ahead of time from
teachers, accept for tests, and scan it herself.  Obviously math won't work
so easily with scanning and then producing a usable electronic, print or
braille document, but for english, history, etc, this should be easy.  Her
aid, or TVI or whoever will still have to do up tests for her, as it would
be unfair for her to see the test before the  other students, but having her
take tests for, say, history on a USB thumb drive would be a good step.  The
goal is to simulate what happens in colege, and one good way to take tests
with little hastle for the student, the professor or the other students is
to have the professor come to class the day of the exam with the test on a
USB thumb drive or an SD card that the student can just put into their lap
top or braille note.  That way they can take the test, along with everyone
else, and then simply save the document, pop out the thumb drive and hand it
to the professor while the other kids are handing in their test papers.
This is a good safe environment to try this system, have it fail and fix it
or have it mostly work, and tweek it, before she is facing college.  If she
has an aid, start cutting the chord, with the aid only coming with her if
absolutely neccessary, and making it clear to that aid, right now, and in a
friendly way, that they are not your daughter's friend, she needs to make
friends with her peers in high school, they are not your daughter's teacher,
and your daughter should seek out her teachers for tutoring help and issues
with the subject material, and they are not your child's parent, and any
problems the teachers have should be directed to you or to your daughter,
and if the aid or the TVI's in put is needed, they will certainly be saught
out.