[blindkid] o&m issues

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Mon Jan 25 16:08:07 UTC 2010

Wow, that is disgusting.  That poor kid.  I don't know what some of these
"professionals" are thinking some times.  Yikes.  I plan to have our local O
and M instructor take a look at Jeremy's navigation at some point, but as we
are homeschooling for everything else, we are going to teach him most of his
cane skills and such.  I know plenty to teach him how to read maps, judge
trafic, use different cane techniques, etc.  I would have his sighted father
help me make the maps, and provide back up when I am teaching him to cross
streets of course, as I am a total, but I think we can handel most of it.
What I find interesting is that I have never tried to teach seventeen month
old Jeremy how to trail, or anything like that, but he does it anyway.  When
he first started walking he would wale into things, but he would learn that,
"Ok, the corner by the kitchen is hard to see because the room is bright and
the wall is all the same bright white, including the small jut out, so I
will run around, not using my hands to check for clearance, everywhere else,
but when I approach that place my hands come up.  If he hits his face on the
coffee table a few times, he starts putting out a hand as he approaches it
in future.  If we are in a new place he will trail more than if we are at
home.  It's just interesting to me how much kids figure out for themselves.
Coming back to the fifth grader with out a cane or braille literacy.  When I
was in second grade and my mom came in to observe me and found out that I
was struggling to write huge letters on huge raised line paper to complete a
creative writing assignment, she gave the TVI such a murderous look that the
woman rushed over, and said to my mom
"Ok, I know, I know, we'll start Braille tomorrow."  She was my favorite TVI
and she had just taken over for a woman who only took a passing interest in
helping me to learn braille.  I had quite a bit of sight as a kid, but we
knew that my condition was degenerative.  I am very greatful to this day
that I was made to learn both print and braille, as having a basic print
literacy is important for signs that are raised or embossed but lacking
braille, or to leave a quick note for a sighted friend in a low tech
situation.  For instance, as a voice major I had to go on full vocal rrest a
few times, and i was not going to lug around a lap top and type on it every
time I wanted to tell someone something.  So, I wrote notes to people by
pressing hard with a pen onto a tablit of paper.  Sighted people are always
surprised at how well I can write, if on a larger scale.  Totally blind
children should at least learn basic print literacy, and even high partials
who have even the smallest chance of losing their sight in the future should
learn Braille.  It's about setting your kids up for success.  Ok, rambel
over.  lol