[blindkid] High School Marching Band

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Wed Jan 27 16:24:14 UTC 2010

Oh good, a flute will bee destinctive and carrying to hear parts, and not
loudd enough for it to drown out her ability to hear what is going on around
her.  In our state we have these huge competitions where it is almost all
formations, like little mini musical theatre/dance performance pieces.  This
is very difficult for sighted people, and if this is what you were talking
about I was afraid I would have to suggest that she either do pit band or
join a non-mobile ensamble like an orchestra or an ordinary band.  But, it
sounds like her situation isn't like our insanely competetive high school's
marching band.  My sighted, musically tallented friend would come home in
teers from band camp in the summer, as did many of her fellow band and
colour gard members.  But, if your daughter will be doing mostly parades and
some formations for sports games and such, then that is just great.  Wish
her luck from me, and if she has any spacific questions, you can always pass
them along, and I will ask Kaitlyn what she would suggest.