[blindkid] Please unsubscribe me

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Fri Jul 2 13:17:50 UTC 2010

To the List:

I feel I have to step in here and give a little perspective.  NFB
training centers are renowned for turning out graduates who are
skilled, competent,  determined, independent, and full of the
confidence one feels when one has been stretched beyond previous
limits.  Center clients learn not only blindness skills, but also a
new way to look at blindness that takes them from feeling like a
deficient person who is missing something to feeling like a full,
able human being who is deserving of first class citizenship.  My
understanding is that the employment figures for NFB center graduates
surpass those of traditional training centers.  So yes, we do "some
things" very well.

As others have noted, no one is forced to go to an NFB training
center.  Sometimes a person might disagree with a practice of a
center or of the organization.  Happily, this is our right.

But every day blind people are fighting in their home states for the
opportunity to attend one of our centers.  These are top of the line
places run by an organization which has done more for the freedom,
opportunity, equality, and status of the blind than any other.  From
our very beginnings, we were the ones fighting for equality and, as
Dr. Jacobus tenBroek put it many decades ago, the right to live in
the world.  Everyone's blind child and every blind adult has
benefited and will continue to benefit for years to come from the
work of the NFB.

Carol
Carol Castellano, President
973-377-0976