[blindkid] white cane with walker questions

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Mon Jul 19 03:33:27 UTC 2010

With the long cane technique, the cane has a pretty good reach. I
don't think going any longer would be a benefit and in fact would
probably make the cane a bit awkward. Attached to a walker for
transport, it is already going to be pretty tall so I wouldn't go
longer than needed.

Carbon fiber is a bit lighter and has a slightly "crisper" feel. The
difference is subtle, I'd expect especially so to a new user. Also,
the last time I checked, the lengths seemed to alternate something
like 36, 40, and 44 in fiberglass and 38, 42, and 46 in carbon fiber.
(Not certain of the actual lengths, but they went back-and-forth in
sizes between the two materials.) For adult sizes, they are available
in either material. I'm typically sighted so therefore not a cane
traveler. Personally I like the carbon "feel" a little better but
again, I'm a total novice with using them personally. My daughter is a
7-year-old, totally blind cane traveler. She doesn't seem to care
which she has.

One thing that is probably more important than anything else is that
while carbon fiber is light and very strong, it is less resistant to
cracking when a cane gets whacked into or stepped on, and when
fiberglass fails it seems to crack and splinter more slowly. Carbon
fiber comes apart pretty fast if you step on it or it gets slammed in
a car door. (Not that I'd expect fiberglass to look like new after a
door sam either...)

The bottom line is he'll probably be well served by and happy with
either. He may or may not benefit by the slightly reduced weight but
he'll almost certainly have a longer lasting cane with the fiberglass
option The important thing is you're getting a cane into his hands and
enlarging his world in the process. Neither of the two is going to be
a "bad" choice.

Good luck!

Richard