[blindkid] alternative parenting guide

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Tue Jul 20 05:55:52 UTC 2010

Sherry,

My pleasure; I'm glad it was of a at least a little interest,
especially since I misread your initial question-- again, sorry about
that!

Your comments make me think about something I heard of in Dallas at
the NFB convention a couple of weeks ago. I think it was in a general
session. There was talk of a database being tied to  a GPS system so
that information about points of interest could be accessed based on
your GPS coordinates. Clearly that would not replace telling a child
about the vast number of houses or phone poles being passed, but that
is just general concept building. Down the road, the kids will want
mostly what the adults too would probably want-- practical and
interesting information about things in the world around them as they
pass through it-- useful in your own car, your parent's car, from a
subway, a train, a taxi-- even just on foot-- you name it. And as a
bonus, since this sort of interest crosses the line between the
sighted and the blind, there's a reasonable chance that mainstream
applications could bring the cost of it way down.

Does anyone know where a recording of that session could be accessed?
I'd love to hear that again-- some of the details didn't really stick
too well in my mind but I was very interested in it.

Richard