[blindkid] swimming lessons

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Tue Jun 1 12:12:38 UTC 2010

Serena was probably a little bit older when she was learning, but the
instructor started her holding onto the wall and practicing turning
her head from side to side and putting her face in the water--it
looked pretty typical to me.  For paddling around, at first they used
those little floats which the kids held out in the water in front of
them.  That prevents any head bumping.  Again, I  am pretty sure it
was the usual instruction.  The hardest part for Serena was the arm
strokes, but that was from prematurity, not blindness.  Serena never
became a great pool swimmer, but she knows how to body surf in the ocean!
Carol

Carol Castellano, President
973-377-0976
carol_castellano at verizon.net