[blindkid] Why you should go to the NFB national convention (by Lindsay, age 7)

Laura Weber weberfam07 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 1 17:46:48 UTC 2010

My 7-year-old daughter, Lindsay, just finished first grade.  (Yeah!)  During
her last week of class, her teacher sent home lots of things the class had
been working on throughout the year.  One of their projects was "writers'
workshop," where the students had to independently write a journal-type
entry for 5 to 10 minutes a couple times per week.  I loved reading
Lindsay's journal entries.  The following is Lindsay's entry for 4/30/10,
exactly as written on her Mountbatten Brailler, spelling and grammar
mistakes included:

In Jly I am going to Inefbe Canp.  I will have lots of fun.  I will right a
book if I want to.  I might go swiming.  And I am going to stay in a hotell.
It is going to be lots of fun.  I know I will like it a lot.  My nana and
grandad are coming with my mom and I.  I think I will be very happy.  I
think I will read some books.  And I will meat some new blind people.

I think that says it all about why we go to the NFB national convention
every year.  If Lindsay is excited about "meat"ing new blind people,
reading, and "right"ing, then we must be doing something right.  ("Swiming,"
staying in a "hotell," and nana and grandad are just bonuses!)  Hope to see
you there!

Laura Bostick Weber

Please support Lindsay in the 2010 NFB Race for Independence:

 <http://www.raceforindependence.org/goto/lindsay.adair.2010>
http://www.raceforindependence.org/goto/lindsay.adair.2010