[blindkid] swimming lessons

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Tue Jun 1 19:34:38 UTC 2010

That's great to hear what a good job you have done, helping your daughter to
have the enriching experience of swimming.  It made me think of two things.
A.  If you're not able finantially to spend the money on private Yoga, swim,
gymnastics, etc teachers, it might just be better to teach your child
yourself, after you go and observe a class with sighted children.  or B.
Start while they are infants, at least with the swimming, because it is
instinctual at that point and no explination is required.  What worked best
for me was to have someone, a friend of the family, family member or friend
of me demonstrate everything and teach me, after having watched the
"qualified" instructor.  Then when I had a foundation and was old enough to
have enough receptive language to understand positions and moves purely from
description, I could work with an ordinary teacher, in a class setting, with
no special training, and no additional fees paid.  I know a woman who has
four children, one blind, one low vision and two sighted, and all of them
learned to swim as infants, and there was no real adaptation needed.  Her
sighted kids have even worked out a system where their low vision or blind
sibbling will run to the side of the lake, and at a certain point they will
yell "now!" as they have figured out through trial and error when a jump or
dive needs to be started to make it a success.  They also have a high diving
team at the school where they have home schooling, sports participation
privilages, and their low vision daughter is the only one really good at it
out of the four.  They also have one of those rope swings where you run down
a hil, swing out over the water and then drop eight feet into the pond.  I
was scared to death to try it and it took the totally blind girl helping me
through the proccess ten or twelve times before I was able to release at the
right moment and land where I needed to.  She is such a pill.  She's eight
and she was cackling her head off at me when I would get stuck six feet
above the ground, not wanting to let go onto the rocks, but no longer with
the momentum to get out over the safety of the water.  She climbed the tree
and reeled me in with a grab bar and we tried again.  I'm laughing now
thinking about it.  That whole family is a stitch.  I love the fearlessness
of her children, and the little girl sort of reminds me of Wendy Sue in the
children's book Wendy Sue Day, that Carol and others recommended to me
several months ago for a literacy kit project I had to complete for an
education course.  I gave her a copy of the book and she liked it, and went
off to read it to her horse.  Well, she has two horses and a goat, but
that's not the point.  I think she read it to Marly, but I didn't ask.  Wow,
this has rambeled, but point is, start young, don't over think, trust your
self, trust your child and just keep doin what you're doin.