[blindkid] Blind Camps

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Sat Jun 5 02:03:50 UTC 2010

Well, the second sounds nice, but the first you mentioned is one of the
horrific ones I went to, and many of my peers suffered through.  I got into
a screaming match with a counsilor once because I wasn't particularly good
at the long jump, and on my first try I jumped and landed in a heap and
started lauging.  I said "Ok, that sucked, let's try that again, shall we?"
in a good humor.  She instantly jumped on me saying "That was fine."  "Erm,
no it wasn't, but I'll try it again."  "No, you have to stop having such a
negative attitude."  "Lady, it sucked, it's no big deal, I'm not upset about
it, but it really and truly sucked.  I didn't go hardly anywhere and I
landed on my butt, so what can I do to make it better?"  "If you don't think
that you can do it then you will never be able to."  "Uh, I do think I can
do it, eventually, but I need some pointers, what should I do differently?"
"Well, if you are just going to insist on putting yourself down then maybe
you should give the next girl a chance."  Another counsilor got angry with
me because they were having kids throw plates, glass plates, from the dining
hall on the grass, because starting right off with a diskus is sort of heavy
for small hands.  I expressed my concern that I would throw it too far and
break it on the parking lot, and the man assured me that I wouldn't, that if
I did it wouldn't be a problem, and then advised me to give it a light toss.
I did, it overshot the other campers, the grass and smashed to pieces on the
parkinglot.  He yelled at me telling me that "You did that on purpose.  You
can see can't you?  You are just acting like you can't see all that much.
You think you're funny don't you?"  When this man should have known full
well, that I was a medium high partial, and that I had tried to warn him
that I was afraid it might hit the pavement and not the grass.  My first
year when I was seven, a deaf blind girl who was pretty low functioning,
either because of mental retardation, or improper management by the
counsilors or improper socialization and education by the parents, came up
to me where I was sitting in the dining hall, grabbed my bowl of very hot
soup and dumped it into my lap after grabbing various things off of the
table and throwing them, including my silverware, my brandnew diskman and my
plate.  It hurt like hell and my diskman shattered.  I was seven for crying
out loud, so I did what a lot of normal seven year olds would have done.  I
grabbed her and started yelling at her and shuvved her.  She didn't bleed,
no bones were broken, she didn't hear the mean things I said, no clothing
was ripped or property of hers damaged.  All that she got was me grabbing
her and pushing her down onto her but on the floor, and I was half her size.
They were going to kick me out for that.  My stomach and legs didn't get
seen for the nasty blistering oozing burns for at least a half an hour of
them lecturing me while I kept insisting that "It hurt" and "she burned me"
and "I need a bandaid or something.  Finally, a girl who was diabetic and
had special concintrated sugar disks that were for if her blood sugar
dropped was being hastled by a counsilor, who was not aware of her
condition, for "not sharing her candy" when one of the low functioning
camperrs heard her grab the bag out of her drawr and take one because she
had tested low and was feeling faint.  Here she was, about ready to pass
out, trying to politely and calmly explain to the counsilor that they were
medically neccessary and not candy.  I was trying to tell the counsilor that
the candies were not ordinary candies, but she was starting to give one to
her camper, the MR one.  I grabbed the bag out of her hand, made sure that
the older girl had taken one, then went into the hall to find her counsilor
who knew of her condition, and only then did the first counsilor stop
insinuating that my friend was selfish and childish, but neither of us ever
got an apology.  It's not the indiviedual events, it's the attitude that I
had a problem with.  I will look up the second camp you mentiooned, since it
was more of a normal summer camp experience.  Thanks.  Wasn't planning on
pointing individual fingers at camps, but since it came up, I thought I sort
of had to say something.