[blindkid] Blind Camps

Brandy W branlw at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 6 20:26:28 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I know this is a tough subject for many, but I think that camps for blind
children play a huge positive role in a child's life and path to success.

Many of you know me personally, and you know my parents did not allow me to
be blind in the category of you can't do it because you are blind. I was to
use my cane, read Braille, and do all the typical age activities that my
friends did. I went to Girl scout camps, church camps and more, but I went
to camps for blind children too. I remember looking forward to those blind
camps. I was picky and researched what ones I would try to go to, and yes
that was my job. My mom didn't pick the camps for me. Camps for blind
children were a safe place where I didn't have to explain Braille, or why I
needed a cane. I got adjendas in Braille, songs for camp fire time were in
Braille, rules were posted in Braille, and if I needed a Braille writer one
was usually available. When it was time for art I wasn't given a coloring
page and printed instructions. If I happened to be sick there was probably a
Braille book to read. Now I'm not suggesting that the only camp one attends
if for blind people, but I am suggesting that the child have 1 of their
summer experiences be with blind people. Only other blind people know how it
is best to apply make up with out seeing it, and what is your technique for
swimming in the lake, and navigating new places. It is at a blind camp where
a child can say recess has been real tough what do you do with friends on
the playground? And just how do you deal with the cafeteria line? We have
something in common. So just as one may want to a camp for music or theater
a blind child should be expected to possibly be interested in a camp for
blind children. It is at a camp for blind people that one can learn what to
expect so when they go to a camp not prepared for blind children they have
an idea how they can be one of everyone else using their blindness skills
and having a great time.

Hope this helps some.

Bran

"Families that play together learn together!"
Brandy Wojcik
Discovery Toys Educational Leader
Check out our new spring line perfect for spring time learning and Easter
baskets and more...
www.playtoachieve.com
(512) 689-5045

Discovery Toys wants to be a part of your family's learning success and here
are a few ways we can help:
* Join my team and receive 18 award winning products for $125
* Host a fun get together with friends and earn free Educational products,
* Purchase award winning educational materials on my webpage,
* Purchase or get free gift baskets for children of all ages