[blindkid] Wii Device Teaches Visually Impaired to WalkwithCanes

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Tue Jun 8 03:18:45 UTC 2010

Your point is well taken Mike, but I suggest that any tool that may
offer a chance to isolate even one particular aspect of an activity
that some find challenging or frustrating (such a can travel) and
offer a chance to improve that area may be useful and helpful for
some. My daughter, and I suspect many of our kids who are cane
travelers, could certainly stand to improve her straight-line travel,
just like she needs to learn to swim in a straight line.

What about just walking on a treadmill? Could we not make similar
arguments against using those? Where is the skill and challenge and
delightful experience of going for a walk on a treadmill? My daughter
loves to use a treadmill, but she doesn't use a cane for that (for
what I suspect are obvious reasons). That doesn't make that a bad
thing for her. In fact what it does is allows her to walk and build
muscle strength and stamina far faster than when walking (at a much
slower pace) with her cane.

For my daughter, I say whatever helps any piece of her mobility
advance is a good thing-- I know over time all these components will
mesh together and all serve to help her become more independent and
successful.

Richard