[blindkid] go for braille!

Joy Orton ortonsmom at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 03:29:30 UTC 2010

Hi Doreen,

I'm so sorry you had a painful experience with the pre-K graduation. I've
had to do my own advocating (I hope modeling for my daughter) for proper
mobility help with dance recitals, talent shows, and so on (as in, "don't
drag or push her, please"). There are lots of opportunities as your child
goes through school.

You mentioned that your child was uncomfortable with the type that the TVI
has chosen for next year, 26 or so? That is much bigger than "large print."

If your child is unable to read 14 point type, then I would strongly urge
you to go ahead and ask for braille instruction. In kindergarten or first
grade, 24 or 26 point type is probably a matter of enlarging the papers, but
if the student can only read at 26 or larger, what will you do when she has
to read 20 pages (or more) for a history assignment in middle school, or 100
pages for a literature assignment in high school ... If she has braille
instruction and the skills to read braille, she can keep up with reading
assignments.

I am sure there are oher parents who can address how difficult it is to
learn braille during high school, rather than early on. If your daughter can
see the huge print, then let her be a "dual reader," but please give her the
opportunity to learn braille.

It sounds like you have an uphill battle in getting what you want from the
district, but remember that it is not just what you want, but what your
child needs in order to be successful, and also what the law requires. Hang
in there.

Sincerely,
Joy Orton