[blindkid] Wii Device Teaches Visually Impaired to WalkwithCanes

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Jun 8 05:21:07 UTC 2010

Richard:

I know many parents see us die-hard opponents of this device as being
negative. Many of you (parents) are asking "what if this device might
help?". But to some of us, playing with a WII device in lieu of or even
supplemental to using a cane is precisely playing into the hands of those
you cite below who do not believe that canes are valid devices for young
children. Anything but put a cane in the kids' hands.

Frankly, although some on this list may disagree with me (and that's OK), I
think that in most instances, veering is more a problem of sighted persons
watching blind persons than of the blind persons themselves. Yes, it's
annoying once-in-a-while to get off-line in a large open area. But frankly,
it has been my experience that practice tends to improve one's performance
in this regard. And I just don't see the WII device as being useable over a
large enough area to truly give blind persons the experience of traveling
straight in an area without landmarks.

But I'm going to cease posting on the subject since most parents on this
list seem mesmerized by the technology rather than asking the hard question
of whether it is possible for the technology to do what it is claimed to do.

Some of us have given you our perspective; let it rest there. I just hate to
see time, money and effort put into a solution of a problem that I do not
see as being able to live up to its advertisement.

Wonder if the inventors of this WII mobility game will be in Dallas or
Phoenix?

Mike