[blindkid] never stands still

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Jun 11 06:13:41 UTC 2010

At least with my 4-year-old son, unless I'm making a walk "long" by
going up and down my own street or around a track in the local park,
if I get too far from home, sometimes the kid just wants to stop
suddenly and refuse to walk. I'll simply hear that dreaded phrase--
"Daddy, I'm tired; carry me!".

In such a situation, unless you brought a stroller along you'll end up
carrying your kid home (or maybe calling a cab) and also there are the
"potty" worries once you're a good 5 or 10 minutes from a restroom. I
still don't like getting too far from a restroom with my son if I can
avoid it.

Also, there is something to be said for offering at least one option
that a child can elect to do when needed without required assistance--
to "self-regulate" as much as possible. It is yet another way to
foster a drive to be independent.

Richard