[blindkid] never stands still

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Sun Jun 13 03:10:49 UTC 2010

Excited flapping and jumping around sounds like standard little kid
behavior to me as well. (My sighted 4-year-old certainly does plenty
of that!) The areas where some of us get concerned and are more
anxious to distract and redirect are often more in the realm of
spinning and rocking. For some reason, and I have never really grasped
why, spinning and rocking seem to be two mannerisms that are favorites
of blind children.

If it is spinning with a purpose, that's one thing ("look how my dress
flies out when I spin!") but when my daughter used to just start
twirling around while she would talk to a parent or teacher or
friend-- that was concerning. We've had far fewer issues with the
rocking but Kendra liked to spin, especially when she was small. We
were advised by OT's and other professionals we trusted to keep
encouraging other types of movement. It was a combination of all the
things I have mentioned in her "sensory diet" for lack of a better
term, that seems to have nearly stopped the spinning completely.

She is most likely to spin now, only in mid air in the trampoline (I
have no idea how it is possible to snap into a "360" in mid air like
that) or sometimes while playing in the water. Those seem to be much
more elements of play, especially since they are not carried back into
typical daily actions. That's probably why I have shared so much
(perhaps to excess) about what all we tried to get where we are with
the movement. If anyone else is having similar concerns here, maybe
that will spark an idea that they haven't run across yet.

Richard