[blindkid] chatting and JAWS

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Sun Mar 7 19:15:05 UTC 2010

MSN was very popular about five years ago, but I switched to AIM, and most
blind people seem to prefer one of those two options.  Twitter might also be
an option a bit further down the road.  My Space and Face Book are
accessible with JFW, very much so, all of the blind people I know are on one
or both, but I don't know about the chat component.  I would reccomend that
she use the links list, insert F 7, after you figure out which links are
near what she wants.  For instance, when I shop on one of my favorite sites,
that has no heddings on it, I find the product descriptions by moving to the
Affiliate Log In link, because I figured out that that is the last link
above the text.  On a blogging site I love, I find the profile settings
info, which is text, with no link, on the main page, by searching for the
"Change The World One Step at a Time" link, which is right before that info.
If you know the name of the link you want, then first letter navigation in
the links list should work, if it is something in text, use the control F
screen find command.  Just don't get her mixed up with things like The Zone.
It is an online blind community, and it is all about two things, technology
and sex.  Everyone, and I do mean everyone on there is looking for syber
sex, phone sex, clips from other users of a sexual nature, etc.  They have
discussions for other things, but you have to pass all of the crazies to get
there, and it is very limiting.  I am encouraged to hear that she wants to
chat online to her sighted peers.  Foster that, and she'll be good to go.
She could get a live journal possibly, I don't know about age requirements,
but you could moniter it pretty easily.  I hope this helps.