[blindkid] Looking forward

Albert J Rizzi albert at myblindspot.org
Mon Mar 8 14:01:12 UTC 2010

Here is another real assessment of what is happening out there. Nothing as
informative as the aAP!

According to the AP, efforts are underway to make the Web more accessible.

What if you could not use a traditional keyboard or mouse interface? Have
you ever been frustrated by the distorted letters a webpage uses to prove
you are human, as if you could be a chicken typing the keys. Well movement
is underway to help make the Web available to people with severe
disabilities.

 Websites of today are like the entry way to a business, and there is a big
market in making the business open to as many people as possible.

Studies tell  us that there are about sixty million of us with some kind of
disability.

The World Wide Web Consortium, which develops standards for the Web, has
issued guidelines for designers to help them create more accessible sites.
They include providing text labels for images, captions on audio and video
and making keyboard shortcuts for people who can't use a mouse.

"When the Web is designed well, it is so enabling. It allows people to
contribute on an equal plane," said Shawn Lawton Henry, outreach coordinator
at the consortium's Web Accessibility Initiative.

While most federal government Web sites are required by law to be
accessible, companies have no legal obligation to incorporate the features.

But Jim Thatcher, who developed the IBM screen reader, which blind people
use to read the Internet, said the threat of civil rights lawsuits has
motivated some companies.

Last year, Target Corp. agreed to pay $6 million in damages to plaintiffs in
a California class action lawsuit who were unable to use its Web site.
Thatcher, who was an expert witness during the trial, said there were many
links on Target's site that were unintelligible to screen-reading software.
He said there have been improvements since the settlement with the National
Federation of the Blind.

Apple Inc. also reached an agreement with the state of Massachusetts to
alter the program iTunes to make it accessible to the blind.

"No question that companies are seeking more help since those cases," said
Thatcher, who is working with Amazon.com on its site.

Apple's iPhone has been praised for its accessibility features, including
screen reader audio that comes standard on the machine.

Knowing how disabled people use the Web is the first step to making the Web
accessible, experts say.
At Yahoo Inc. headquarters in Silicon Valley, an "Accessibility Lab" allows
programmers and developers to try various assistive technology software and
hardware.

The lab's directors, Victor Tsaran and Alan Brightman, show visitors how
screen reader software works, and make them try Braille keyboards, a
head-controlled mouse, joy sticks, trackballs and other tools employed by
disabled users to navigate the Web.

"Our goal is to make people feel more at ease with disabilities," explains
Tsaran, who is blind. "And our task is to make technology work for people.
Accessibility is a big, big, big, big part of that."
The lab, which opened almost two years ago, is available to Yahoo employees
as well as developers from other companies.
"Our feeling is everything should be as accessible as possible," Brightman
said. "Let's not compete over whether a disabled person can use your site."

Guy Thomas, of San Leandro, who has little arm movement because of a
neuromuscular disability, plays a lot of games on the Internet, using a
trackball and mouse stick. He said there are some games that have made
adaptations for otherwise challenging moves, such as hitting one key while
holding down another. Those improvements, he said, are essential to letting
him enjoy the new games on the Web.

"When you're playing a game, it's one of the few places you don't have to be
disabled. You're just a guy, playing a game," he said. "But if you run into
an obstacle, it's the same as if I was on a basketball court unable to throw
a ball to the hoop."

Experts say accessibility features make a better Internet for all.
For example, the ability to zoom in on a map or magnify font was conceived
for people with low vision but it's helpful for anyone.

"It's like sidewalks. You build a wheelchair ramp and not only is it a
better sidewalk for those users, but for strollers, luggage, delivery
people," Brightman said.

Yahoo recently made upgrades to its home page to add labels that make it
easier for people using screen readers to jump around the page. The Internet
company also has added audio CAPTCHA image verifications for users who can
neither see nor comprehend the distorted words.

Google Inc., whose programmers have used the Yahoo lab, recently introduced
automatic machine-generated captions for videos on its YouTube site to make
them accessible to the deaf and hearing-impaired. It's all about being
aware," said Henry of the Web consortium. "Often if you don't know anyone
with a disability,

Albert J. Rizzi, M.Ed.
CEO/Founder
My Blind Spot, Inc.