[blindkid] NBP-Announce: Kids: Hailstones and Halibut Bones

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Thu Mar 11 01:11:18 UTC 2010

This book annoys the heck out of me.  I have many friends that are
senesthetes, and they outright hate this book, because, although the poems
are creative and nice, from a literary stand-point, they are very
stereotypical.  The author mostly fills the poems with things that are the
colors she is describing, with the occational sensory addition of sound, or
texture or taste or scent, rarely more than two of these in each poem.  I
vaguely disliked the book, but, not having especially strong synesthetic
tendencies, perhaps four or five on a scale of one to ten, with ten being
those who see numbers as spacific colors, or who taste letters or feel
textures with sounds, and one being the average joe shmoe.  But, when I
heard some of my friends who are more like eights or nines complaining, I
challenged them to do better.  They generated ideas and I generated the
literary text and we both got nice fat As for our respective parts in a
joint English and Psychology assignment, but we have never had any success
in publishing.  I am glad that it is being produced, as it is a nice little
book, but it is very limited and everyone who knows anything about
blindness, clings to it as a gold standard, and I don't think it deserves
the gold, perhaps the bronze.  For example, even when sound is employed for
blue, it is the wind over water, and water is sterotypically blue, and the
wind associated with the sky which is sterotipically blue follows the
pattern.  I asked three synesthetic friends what color the sound of the wind
is, and they all said the same thing, with out hearing one another's
answers, lavinder said two and lilac said the third.  One thing that
research has uncovered is that although there is variation amung
synesthetes, there are commanalities, that would seem to support the idea
that synesthetism is not a mental or psychological disorder, but a tru,
hightened perception.  I repeted my method for the purposes of the book we
wrote, for five different questions, and got similar answers.  All three
said that 9 is green and 7 is red or redish-orange.  All three agreed that
spearamint smells parawinckle or light blue, that milk chocolate tastes
yellow, that the texture of glossy magazine pages is either forest or kelly
green, etc.  Most of the other things we put in the book were true of all
thre or at least two of the three synesthetes that I worked with.  No group
wants to see it's members discouraged, mislead or ignored, and that is what
these three felt was being done, by not using less normative and blatent
examples for the colors.  If an average child, especially one who is
stifled, black and white thinking, and not at all synesthetic was asked to
name something that smelled green, they would probably say grass or mint,
because those things are green, not because they really understand the
concept, and to fit in, and with the reenforcement of the sterotypical book,
a truly gifted synesthetic child might repress their answer of, bananas
smell green or leather smells green, because they don't want to be "Wrong"
for naming something that is not actually green in color, and that no one
else named.  I think the author played it waaaaaaaaay too safe and this from
a free thinker and writer is very upseting.  I just wanted to put this out
there, because one of the best things you can do for a totally blind child
who has never seen colors, to help them experience what colors are like, is
to ask an actual synesthete to explain to your child, using all five senses
and multiple examples from each.  I've got to go and find my favorite
description of yellow that a synesthetic friend wrote up for me to give a
totally blind friend, since it is my favorite color.  I used to be able to
see colors, BTW.  Ok, just sharing.