[blindkid] talking to a child about blindness

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Mar 12 05:04:34 UTC 2010

Interesting perspective. It is always nice to hear about things like
this-- small details that can come together to help build a concept.
Several of those things would not have dawned on me. Especially the
under the door thing-- I must have been a poor hide-and-seek player as
a child-- I suspect I would not have thought of that,  I am rather
embarrassed to say...

For quite a while, I was stumped about how to convey any reference or
understanding of light and shadows to Kendra at all, then standing in
front of the oven with the door open one day I had an idea--

Shadows work with heat too-- pass an object between yourself and a hot
oven or a fire and there is an instant cooling effect from the shadow
of the heat projected. I tried it and apparently it was enough to
satisfy her curiosity-- suddenly she could actually feel a shadow. It
was the first time I felt like I had managed to convey anything close
to a concept of light and how it moves and behaves to my daughter.

I expect there will be better ways down the road, but my thought was
that any way to get that making some sense to her at whatever age she
was (5 or 6 I guess?) had to be progress.

Richard