[blindkid] 2010 Youth Writing Contest-

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Fri Mar 12 10:27:08 UTC 2010

Blindkid members

RE: 2010 Youth Writing Contest!

Dear friends, the deadline for our NFB Writers' Division Youth Writing
Contest is quickly coming up! I don't want any of you to miss out. The
information is below-

The NFB Writers' Division is hosting a Youth Writing Contest to
 promote Braille literacy and excellence in creative writing. Entries
 will be judged on creativity and quality of Braille. We are looking
 for creative writing, in the form of fiction and poetry. There is no
 charge for entering.

This is a contest for students who use Braille. Entries must Be
 submitted in hand embossed Braille, either on a slate and stylus or
 on a Braille writer. No computer Braille entries will be considered.
 Submissions must be Brailled by the entrant. All submissions, no matter
your grade level, must be in contracted Braille, unless, you have yet to
learn the full system. Let us know which you are, either a "I'm studying
contracted Braille- " or "I know contracted Braille."

There are six categories, as follows: Elementary Fiction; Elementary
 Poetry; Middle School Fiction; Middle School Poetry; High School
 Fiction; High School Poetry. Elementary is K-6. Middle School is 7-8.
 High School is 9-12.

The contest begins January first, and ends, postmarked date April
 first. There will be three cash prizes for each of the six
 categories. Submissions receiving Honorable mention will also be listed.
First prize per contest is $25. Second prize is $15 and
 third prize is $5. Submissions for fiction may not exceed one
 thousand words. Poetry may not exceed twenty lines. Authors may
 submit multiple entries and all work must be original and unpublished.

Entries must be accompanied by a cover letter containing entrant's
 information: Name, address, phone, email, title of the entry, school
 and grade of entrant. Winners will be announced at our division
 meeting during the July 2010 NFB National convention held in Dallas, Texas.

Each entrant must provide an identical electronic copy of the cover letter
and story or poetry, for possible publication. Winners will be published in
the Writers' Division quarterly magazine, "Slate and Style."

Send your hardcopy Braille and cover letter to:

Robert Leslie Newman

504 S 57th St

Omaha, NE 68106

E-mail submissions (copy of story or poetry and cover letter) should be sent
to Robert Leslie Newman at newmanrl at cox.net.

Robert Leslie Newman
NFB Writers' Division President