[blindkid] recess and social interaction

Steve & Karen Leinart s.leinart at comcast.net
Mon May 31 21:26:47 UTC 2010

Joy,

I also have a 3rd grade daughter, adopted from China, who is having
similar problems at recess.  She hasn't been invited to a single
birthday party or playdate the entire year, and she has a lot of
problems finding anyone to play with at recess.  She has normal vision,
so  I wonder if some of the issue may be the grade/age of the girls
involved.  I've spoken to her teacher, encouraged her to take things
(like a jump rope or ball) that might get other kids interested in
playing with her, encouraged her to take things to do by herself (like
make knotted bracelets), and it continues to be a source of frustration
for her.  So, consider that part of the issue may be age rather than
vision.  Perhaps your school social worker would have some ideas or
could help facilitate a social group for your daughter that might
encourage some friendships.

Karen Leinart