[blindkid] Questions about rulers and perpetual calendars

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Tue Nov 2 15:44:07 UTC 2010

Interesting idea with the hot glue. With a wide enough ruler one could probably offset lines and make at least eights and here is a commercial 1/8 inch ruler as well ($3.25):

http://www.maxiaids.com/products/1274/Tactile-Braille-Ruler.html?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Froogle&idAff=15225

I guess in theory you could go quite fine with staggered sets of lines (16ths or probably 32nds with something like raised commercial printing which could be slightly tactile), but I think once you pass around 1/8th a child would need a really strong foundation in the concept because you end up with lines jumping in and out so they can be differentiated, or it will start to feel like a texture, not distinct lines or marks. (As far as "proper" braille and similar sized raised lines, once you get around 16th of an inch, you begin to raise the whole area and defeat the purpose, right?)

To be clear, I'm a total novice with this, trying myself to grasp these concepts as I anticipate Kendra's fairly near-term needs. RIght now, we're just doing second grade measuring in cm and I can already see this it is quite challenging to measure with accuracy. It is really easy for the ruler to shift a few mm and if "a few" is more than 5, one is probably going to assume the next number and get the problem wrong. Convert this to 16th's or mm, and how is it physically possible? Visually, for fine measurements one has to close one eye and sight down the side of things to avoid parallax errors. I get that there are no parallax problems with tactile rulers, but there are practical physical limits for precision. Teachers need to work within these limits and modify the assignments if appropriate.