[blindkid] coping with grief of having blind child fable

Rosina Solano colemangirly at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 17:23:55 UTC 2010

I had mixed feelings for this story.  I have never heard it before.  While reading it I can indeed see the resembelance of my life in this story, however, I believe it to be only that, a resemblance.  My child in no way compares to a mere vacation, maybe one that you find joy in even though unplanned.  When vacation is over, it is over and all that is left is fond memories or humor over "the whole situation".

However, a child is your life again born through you.  An extension of yourself so to speak.  We all want more for our children and finding out that anything is wrong is heartbreaking.  Finding out that it is not "correctable" or that it is permanet is soul crushing.  Not that there is anything wrong with being blind, I am just portraying the emotion when you find out that your precious baby will have difficulties.  It is not a short trip, and although you definately love them the way they are and wouldn't even change who they are or become, you never stop to feel the hurt for them;  not because there is anything wrong with them, but because that is how compasion works.  We want to take it all on for them.

Even after all these years and still going through surgeries and such, I am amazed at how hurt I feel every time.  I know that it will not get better and that is okay, but it still hurts.  And although I appreciate the support that always comes our way, it is sometimes hard to not resent people telling you that "everything will be okay" or that "everything happens for a reason".

I personally do not feel that my child compares with a simple vacation, although I do see what was trying to be accomplished.

Just my two cents;
Rosina