[blindkid] New Product for Visually Impaired Children

H. Field missheather at comcast.net
Sat Oct 9 11:41:16 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,
I'm fwding this because it's probably a great resource for many learning experiences. I'm not endorsing it, and I'm not recommending it for it's originally intended purpose, "trying to find a safe, interactive and fun way  (blind child) could enjoy
decorating and celebrating Christmas". Unless a blind child has additional issues that make decorating a regular Christmas tree impossible I'm afraid I don't see why this resource is necessary as a substitute for the joyous experience of being part of the family decorating of the real tree (something I loved to do as a child and still enjoy now as a blind adult). In fact, this product is designed to provide a substitute, inferior "safe" activity for the blind and is part of a long line of such specially developed, totally unnecessary products for the blind; such as the specially designed toilet for the blind and shoes that vibrated when the blind wearer approached solid objects.

However, I am always keen to applaud innovation and to look for uses that new products might have beyond the original intent of the designer. I believe that this one is a whole lot more adaptable/flexible than tmost of the others and deserves our attention. Perhaps we could give the designer some advice to improve his products or to move on to providing some new ones.

Anyway, apart from santa many of the ornaments, such as the snowman, the wite cane and the elf, can be used in lots of other settings. For example, when learning about the seasons the snowman might be part of the winter things used/displayed etc. I haven't done more than visit the website - the poem isn't anything to write home about and enterprising parents could probably write their own more exciting poems - however, it looks like it has the potential to be a great resource. The creator also gives phone contact info so he would likely be happy to talk in detail to callers. If I find time to call myself I'll report to the list.

Warmest regards,

Heather