[blindkid] O&M and Expanded Core Laws

H. Field missheather at comcast.net
Thu Oct 28 04:32:30 UTC 2010

Dear Lucy,
I would begin by starting on the most solid ground you
have--age-appropriate.  Your child should have age-appropriate travel
skills. If your daughter is doing well academically and is on pa withe
her peers, then there is no reason in the world that her travel skills
should not be age-appropriate as well. No fisible argument can be made
to deny her O&M instruction to bring her travel competence up to that
of other ten-year-olds. she is a normal child whose eyes don't work
well. She should have "normal" 10-year-old travel skills!

However, arguments can be - and apparently are being - made based on
your daughter's blindness. I use the term "blind" to refer to a child
who is functionally blind i.e. she cannot use vision as her primary
means of getting daily life tasks done.

Therefore, your task is not complex to understand though difficult to
implement. I would not be comparing your child to other blind
children. For every competent child you may come up with the so-called
experts at the school will come up with less competent ones. Your job
is to demand age-appropriate expectations and tutoring to achieve
age-appropriate behaviour. You need an advocate who takes this
approach and is familiar with the competence of blind children who
have been given age-appropriate expectations and the education and
skills to achieve them.

Instead of arguing with the IEP team about what you believe your child
should have, ask them why they think it's acceptable that your child
is so far below her peers in her ability to independently and safely
travel in her school and the community. Let them try to explain their
expectations without saying "well, obviously it's because she's
blind". Now, you and I, and hundreds of thousands of other people,
know that blindness itself is not a reason for a 10-year-old,
intellectually normal child to have preschool level orientation and
mobility skills; they, apparently, don't agree and think it's just
fine for her to be incompetent and are happy to blame it on her
blindness and not on their woefully inadequate instruction and
expectations.

It sounds to me as though you have also been a bit hesitant in
requiring your daughter to aim for age-appropriate travel skills as
well. If she goes out with you and won't use her cane then it is you
who is allowing this situation to continue. I would change this
immediately as most of her orientation and mobility real-world
experience happens when she's out with you.I would certainly be happy
to talk with you by phone to assist you in changing this situation if
your daughter is being very resistent.

I would encourage you to find yourself a blind advocate who subscribes
to the NFB philosophy and never attend another meeting with school
personnel without your advocate. You are correct in believing that
your daughter should not be so incompetent in her orientation and
mobility and that things need to be done to improve her skills without
delay. It sounds like you need help in making the school staff comply.
We would love to help.

Please send me your number and some good times to call if you'd like
to talk to me. Also, i encourage you to follow up with the contact
Sally sent you.

Please keep us posted and we'll help you get the services your
daughter deserves as her right. Remember, she has a "right to a free
and APPROPRIATE public education". Let's make the school give it to
her.

Warmest regards,

Heather Field