[blindkid] Low Vision Clinic

Kim Cunningham kim at gulfimagesphoto.com
Tue Sep 14 15:54:43 UTC 2010

Dear Eliza,
You are correct with your thinking that your daughter could be both a print and braille reader. You also have a plus that she is only two years old! I am the parent of a low vision young lady who is now 18 yrs. old. While my daughter could read print with her eyes, it was a great strain on her. When the amount of reading and homework increased, she became more fatigued and her speed in completing her homework/tests took twice as long to complete. It was a nightmare for her! She has been learning braille the past few years, however we don't anticipate her reading speed to increase the same as if she had learned braille at a young age. Had we have know then what we know now, we would have started braille instruction when she was little. If you think about it, how can a low vision child ever compete equally with her peers when she doesn't have full vision? Braille is an equalizer. She will have a equal if not a higher reading speed as her sighted peers.
 Reading print will always be slow. Using low vision to accomplish a task is slow and laborious. Once non-visual techniques are learned, she won't have to rely on unreliable vision to carry her through life.
You will also want to consider that she will need to learn the nemeth code for math, braille music, and the abacus. These are all tools for the blind and low vision child. Don't be alarmed if she needs to use sleep shades (blindfolds) while learning braille. The sleep shades take away all the visual clutter and allows the child to concentrate on the braille. It is not harmful and will not take away from the vision she has.
I wish you luck and I commend you for reaching out to learn more about raising your daughter.
Regards,
Kim Cunningham