[blindkid] Rolling tip

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Wed Sep 22 13:32:27 UTC 2010

I think it is fairly variable from one system to another. In our case, we got services in private school while our daughter was under 5. After that, most counties in our area offer only very limited services for families in the community when students aren't enrolled in public school. Apparently the state (or federal?) government requires a certain number of dollars (percent of budget?) be spent to offer services but it seems it is entirely at the discretion of the local school district as to how those dollars are spent.

Speech therapy seems to be a popular favorite-- as I understand it, some systems spend 100% of their community budget on speech. I must admit, I don't quite understand the rationale but I think they are trying to help greater numbers of students with the same budget. I suspect looks better on their paperwork but that isn't the best news for blind students and others with more complicated support needs.

Richard