[blindkid] Getting Ready for High School Tips, plus some brag

Debby B bwbddl at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 10:43:55 UTC 2011

Eric, Winona should talk to you guys since she's a new high schooler. Although
CA is so far ahead of FL, Vejas could probably still give her tips. I'll have
her contact him with her ideas.

The high school TVI has been wonderful to fully integrate Winona into the
regular day, giving and encouraging independence on many, many levels. One of
the things that has helped is she allows Winona to email assignments to teachers
herself every evening, rather than waiting for the TVI to do so the next
morning. No longer fearing reprisals from the TVI, Winona now talks to the
teachers on her own when she has a problem, whether it be an assignment or an
accessibility issue. This has worked wonders on her self-esteem.

Moving to high school, and a different Braille teacher, has worked wonders for
Winona. She is flourishing this year! Top of her Algebra class! All As on her
report card, with one B which was an 89. I told her that extra credit might come
in handy, if only she'd done it. This TVI spent hours of her own time this
summer learning how to run the music program from Dancing Dots so that she'd be
ready for Winona this year. She made a music staff and notes so that Winona can
tell tactually what they look like. If only we'd had her the last 4 years!!!

 Debby
bwbddl at yahoo.com

~"Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can read."~Mark
Twain