[blindkid] Stages of cane use?

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Tue Apr 12 00:30:14 UTC 2011

Some historical perspective:  it wasn't that long ago that kids were
not even getting canes till they were 14 or 15 years old (there WERE
no little canes!).  (See
<http://www.blind.net/alternative-techniques/mobility/cane-and-preschoolers-the-eight-year-revolution.html>http://www.blind.net/alternative-techniques/mobility/cane-and-preschoolers-the-eight-year-revolution.html
for some history.)

Virtually all of the adults you see walking with canes who are in
their 30s or older learned these techniques after they were 15 years
old.   So your little guys who have had canes in their hands since
they could stand up are really ahead of the game.  I'm sure you've
seen many extremely good travelers who are older than 30.  If they
can get that good even tho they started late, just imagine how
terrific your kids are going to be!!!

Cheers,
Carol

Carol Castellano