[blindkid] Transition to Kindergarten

Aaron Cannon cannona at fireantproductions.com
Sat Apr 30 19:43:27 UTC 2011

Hi.

Some other thoughts from my own daughters Kindergarten experience (she
is sighted, I am blind):

My daughter's class had the opportunity to use computers for short
periods throughout the year, and were she blind, I would likely ask
that she also be allowed to use a computer with some adaptive tech.  I
realize that it might be a little for a full-blown screen reader, but
there are, I believe, some self-voicing software titles aimed at that
age group.

I would also make sure the IEP included cane travel instruction.  A
lot of cane travel instruction.

That's all that occurs to me that hasn't already been mentioned.

Good luck, and don't settle for anything less than everything you need.

Aaron