[blindkid] Schooling and state regulations/differences

cheryl schultz cherylrenee24 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 11 22:15:43 UTC 2011

 Hello,
            My name is Cheryl. I have a three year old daughter who has been diagnosed with LCA. The doctors said her vision is between 20/200 and 20/400. She is currently enrolled in preschool and receiving only 45 minutes a week of O&M and vision instruction. I have contacted our TVIs supervisor and left several messages with no response. I have talked with our school district and told them that we needed to have another IEP meeting and the school district was ok with holding another meeting however, the tvi stated that she didn't feel we needed another meeting be cue she tells me what she does with my child after every session with her. I feel like I am hitting brick walls with trying to get my daughter more time with the tvi. The tvi stated that even with a small population of kids with LCA not having a degenerative type of it, that my daughter might have one of the stable types of it and she didn't want to give her more hours whether she had
 a degenerative condition or not. I Aldo get input form the tvi and the classroom teachers stating that she "sees this, sees that". I have sent in materials for the. To use with her like puffy paint and slicksters crayons so she can see better and they are not using them. This is the only tvi that serves our immediate area and I feel if she doesn't understand my daughters needs my daughter isn't going to get what she needs, obviously. I was wondering what the state regulations are like in Ohio and ny because we are so close to being over the border on each side. I don't know if I am able to request a different tvi through the school district and have her come in from a slightly larger distance away.. Or what I can do. Our IEP is still not signed by me, they sent me the last page of it maybe about a month ago, and none of the goals were based on my daughters vision and the tvi did not and has not written any vision goals for her in the IEP. I
 called one nearby school district who said they had three or four kids come through that had vision disabilities and that they are currently using a different tvi than. My daughters. the schools don't seem to have any sense on what they would be doing for a child with vision disabilities and I called them and they said its up to the tvi on what my child is given, but that the team also decides, what they I feel really meant to say is that they know nothing and that they simply do what the tvi says, if thats the case we need to move soon, I am looking for suggestions and input from families who have moved for their childrens education and where I might be able to find some understanding services out there for her.

Cheryl